Olive Garden’s Stuffed Chicken Marsala is one of my favorite meals! I don’t think I’ve even tried anything else there… And believe it or not, they feature some of their most popular recipes on their website for you to make at home! This version is something I’ve adapted over the years using Moscato wine instead of Marsala (since it’s more commonly what I have on hand) and topping the chicken breasts with the cheese mixture instead of stuffing them — which makes the preparation, cooking, and clean up so much simpler!
This does take a bit of time to prepare, but it’s so worth it. The cheese mixture could even be made a bit ahead of time and stored in the fridge until you are ready. I didn’t take photos of each and every step but here are the basics!
After combining cheese mixture, you flatten your chicken breasts, dredge them in seasoned flour, then saute each side until golden brown.
Place in a casserole dish, top each breast with cheese mixture and bake.While your chicken is baking, prepare the sauce.
I love the flavor the Moscato adds, just be sure to taste as you go and adjust accordingly!
I always serve this with mashed potatoes (topped with more sauce!) and a green veggie.
- - Cheese Stuffing -
- 8-oz package Kraft shredded five cheese Italian (combination of Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan, Asiago and Romano)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup panko seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 Tbsp sun-dried tomato flakes (drain first if in oil)
- 1/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sour cream (6 oz)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- - Sauce -
- 1 small onion, cut in half and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 24 fl oz Moscato Wine
- 2 TBS sugar or to taste
- 8 fl oz heavy cream
- 2 small containers button mushrooms, thinly sliced (6 cups)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 fl oz olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the cheese stuffing in a large bowl.
- Place each chicken breast in zip loc bag or between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound until ½” thick.
- Combine flour in a shallow pan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dredge each chicken breast in flour, shaking off excess.
- Add olive oil to large sauté pan and heat over medium heat.
- Sauté chicken breasts, cooking until each side is golden brown.Place browned chicken breasts in a casserole dish.
- Top each chicken breast with cheese mixture, pressing mixture firmly down. Divide cheese mixture evenly between all chicken breasts.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until juices run clean and center of chicken reaches 165°F.
- Add onions to sauté pan, and stir to loosen chicken drippings. After 2 minutes, add mushrooms and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add wine to pan, making sure to incorporate drippings from bottom of pan, add heavy cream and sugar to taste and simmer on low heat until reduced by half.
- To serve place cooked chicken breasts on a plate and top with the sauce.