This Carnita style pork is one of my favorites! Super simple and full of flavor. I ALWAYS get a Carnita Burrito if I’m at Chipotle, and they are very transparent on their site about the ingredients in the Carnitas: pork, bay leaf, salt, black pepper, thyme, juniper berries, sunflower oil. It’s definitely the juniper berries that add such a unique, savory flavor so don’t leave them out! My local Harris Teeter carries them, or here is a link to get them on Amazon.
I love these Hatfield Touch of Sea Salt Pork Loin Filet but if you can’t find them, use a 1-1.5lb pork loin.
You could definitely crisp up the meat in the oven by broiling for a minute or two for a more authentic Carnita but my kiddos prefer the texture right from the slow cooker. I usually serve with a homemade cilantro lime rice and fixings for everyone to make their own burritos or bowls.
- 1 Hatfield Touch Of Sea Salt Pork Loin Filet or 1-1.5lb pork loin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries
- 1/2 cup water
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Place pork loin in slow cooker and add 1/2 cup water.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, thyme, juniper berries and add the 2 whole bay leaves to pot.
- Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours until internal temp is 170 degrees and pork shreds easily with two forks.
- Remove bay leaves (and my personal preference is to remove any juniper berries that are left whole) prior to serving.
- Garnish with Cilantro if desired.