Miss Mary Bobo’s Boarding House Meat Loaf
As a newlywed, this is one of the first recipes I ever made. My husband loved it and raved about it, and I felt like I had found a million dollar recipe! This is from the “Jack Daniel’s – The Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook”. It is truly a wonderful cookbook – full of traditional, southern recipes as well as fascinating stories of the people and culture of middle Tennessee. If you can find a copy, I highly recommend it!
- 1 pound ground beef (I use 80/20)
- 3/4 cup uncooked, quick-oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar, slightly packed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan or shallow casserole dish with olive oil.
- Combine and shape all of the ingredients into a loaf.
- Cook for about an hour, or until it reaches 160 degrees in the center.
- Meanwhile, heat sauce mixture in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat until the onions and peppers are tender.
- Pour off the juice from the meatloaf and place on a platter, cover with sauce.